The millionaire tycoon announced that he won’t be attending in a tweet on Saturday:
I will not be attending the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner this year. Please wish everyone well and have a great evening!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) 25 February 2017
Breaking decades of tradition, Trump will be the first President to skip the dinner since Ronald Reagan - who missed out in 1981 as he was recovering from an attempt on his life.
According to his spokeswoman, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the President will spend his time thinking about ways to improve America instead of "hobnobbing with reporters".
He and wife Melania attended the annual event in 2015 and, whilst it’s tradition for the current President to receive a ribbing over dinner, Trump was teased by Barack Obama and Seth Meyers. The President and comedian mocked Trump’s hair, his fondness of conspiracy theories and his reality TV show The Apprentice – The Independent reports.
During the dinner, Obama referred to Trump’s allegations that he did not have a passport: “No one is prouder to put this birth certificate matter to rest than The Donald.”
Meyers said: “Donald Trump has been saying he’ll run for President as a Republican, which is surprising as I just assumed he was running as a joke."
Obama roasting Trump during the 2015 White House Correspondents’ Association dinner can be seen below.
Furthermore, Trump's deteriorating relationship with the media adds to the case – last week, he banned the BBC, The Guardian, New York Times, CNN and more from attending an off-camera press briefing on Friday.
Despite claims that much of the media was “the enemy of the American people”, his decision to cherry-pick which outlets could attend is unusual. The Executive Editor of the New York Times, Dean Baquet, said: “Nothing like this has ever happened at the White House in our long history of covering multiple administrations of different parties.”
During his appearance at the Conservative Political Action Conference, which took place last week, Trump used the platform to lambast the media; specifically the use of anonymous sources.
He accused news outlets of making up sources to create damning reports against him: “I’m against the people that make up stories and make up sources. They shouldn’t be allowed to use sources unless they use somebody’s name.
“A source says that Donald Trump is a horrible, horrible human being, let them say it to my face. Let there be no more sources.”
A handful of his tweets against ‘fake news’ can be seen below:
For first time the failing @nytimes will take an ad (a bad one) to help save its failing reputation. Try reporting accurately & fairly!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 26, 2017
Russia talk is FAKE NEWS put out by the Dems, and played up by the media, in order to mask the big election defeat and the illegal leaks!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 26, 2017